And so today’s post is just for fun. Several years ago I enjoyed a meme on my friend Brian Sibley’s blog, in which Brian posted pictures of scenes from 31 of his favorite movies, and asked his readers to see how many of the films they could name.
Rather than posting pictures, I’ve done the meme with movie quotes. (Full disclosure: I had to get the Internet’s help in finding the exact quotes. I remembered some of them verbatim, but not all.) Here, then, is a non-exhaustive list of movies I’d happily watch again and again. I have many other favorites, but they’re perhaps a bit more obscure. See how many of them you can name. Perhaps even find a few on your movie-source of choice, and settle down with some popcorn to have a cozy movie night.
And just to clarify, you don’t have to give your answers in the comments (although I’d be delighted if you’d answer the question at the end of this post). There’s no grading on this — it isn’t a test. This is just for fun. For those who are curious, I’ll post the list of titles on Wednesday, December 10.
In no particular order, then:
1. “Never assume.”
2. “To convince an audience that an illusion is real, the magician creates a plausible diversion.”
3. “We have the chair lift, which will be much easier for you.” “What do I do when I get to the top? Ski down?”
4. “Mrs. Prentice says that like her husband I’m a burned-out old shell of a man who cannot even remember what it’s like to love a woman the way her son loves my daughter.”
5. “I’ll have what she’s having.”
6. “There is a leopard on your roof and it’s my leopard and I have to get it and to get it I have to sing.”
7. “‘Hey, how about… oh, how about some coffee or, you know, drinks or dinner or a movie… for as long as we both shall live?'”
8. “I’m not interested in myself.” “Not interested in yourself, Red? You’re fascinated! You’re far and away your favorite person in the world.”
9. “I was singing out there today, without permission.”
10. “Sometimes angels rush in where fools fear to tread.”
11. “If you’re ever under a falling building and somebody runs up and offers to pick you up and carry you to safety, don’t think, don’t pause, don’t hesitate for a moment, just spit in his eye.”
12. “You have concerns?” “Yes. Not many. A few. One. I have one concern.” “This wouldn’t have to do with the fact that one of us is president?”
13. “As old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth.”
14. “The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.”
15. “There are two Girl Guides in the shrubbery.”
As you can see, I didn’t try to emulate Brian and come up with 31!
If you’d like to see how many of Brian’s favorites you can name, click here.
What are some of your favorite movies?
Remember that everyone who comments on a post on By Word of Beth in December is entered into the giveaway for a copy of Julie Andrews’ Treasury for All Seasons (or an alternate book if you already own that one).